The Avia FL.3 (also later known as the Lombardi FL.3) was an Italian two-seat cabin monoplane designed and built by Anonima Vercellese Industria Aeronautica (AVIA) who were later taken over by Lombardi in 1947.
The FL.3 was a simple low-wing cantilever monoplane with fixed landing gear and powered by a 85hp (63kW) Continental C-85 engine. It had room for a pilot and passenger sitting side-by-side and could either have an open or enclosed cockpit. The first aircraft flew in 1939 and production was started ending temporarily when the war started. Production resumed after the war and in 1947 the company had been taken over by Lombardi. Over 700 aircraft had been built by AVIA and Lombardi when production stopped in 1948.
In 1953 Meteor spa acquired the rights for the FL.3 and with some re-design produced it as the Meteor FL.53 and followed by a three-seat version the FL.54 powered by a 135hp Lycoming engine. A four-seat version the FL.55 was also produced powered by either a 150hp (112kw) or 180hp (134kW) Lycoming engine.
The aeroplane was built in the following variants:
- Avia FL.3 - Production version by AVIA powered by a 60hp (45kW) C.N.A. engine.
- Lombardi FL.3 - Production version by Lombardi.
- Meteor FL.53 - Modified version built by Meteor powered by a 65hp (48kW) Continental engine, eight built.
- Meteor FL.53BM - FL.53 with a 90hp (67kW) Continental engine, four built.
- Meteor FL.54 - Three-seat variant powered by a 90hp (67kW) Continental C90-12F engine, 53 built by Meteor.
- Meteor FL.55 - Four-seat variant powered by 135hp (100kW) Lycoming engine, four built by Meteor.
- Meteor FL.55BM - FL.55 powered by a 150hp (112kW) Lycoming engine, ten built by Meteor.
- Meteor FL.55CM - FL.55 powered by a 180hp (134kW) Lycoming engine, one built by Meteor.
During the war the aeroplane was used by different nations. They used the following decals:
Data from The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985), 1985, Orbis Publishing, Page 2380
- Capacity: 2-seat
- Length: 6.35 m (20 ft 10 in)
- Wingspan: 9.85 m (32 ft 3¾ in)
- Height: 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)
- Wing area: 14.35 m² (154.47 ft²)
- Empty weight: 340 kg (750 lb)
- Gross weight: 570 kg (1257 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Continental C-85 flat-four piston, 63 kW (85 hp)
- Maximum speed: 195 km/h (121 mph)
- Range: 555 km (342 miles)
- Service ceiling: 6000 m (19,685 ft)